Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My 7 Links

Marriage Circa 2011, ©2011, H.Hunter, Collage: paper and acrylic paint
I recently accepted Donna Iona Drozda's invitation to participate in a project: My 7 Links Project. For this project, each blogger chooses 7 different posts to fit seven unique categories and then invites up to 5 more bloggers to do the same, and so on, as a way of uniting "bloggers from all sectors in an endeavor to share lessons learned and...to... create a bank of long but not forgotten blog posts..."

A timely invitation and one that I thought about because it seemed to me a perfect chance to look over the year's post, to form in my mind a gestalt of what I'd written, a means of seeing the road I'd traveled and perhaps the road I might choose to take in the year ahead.

Like the doors on an advent calendar, I invite you to open up one or more of these links and see what you discover.

Most helpful: Young Adult Bereavement Art Group/Art Therapy in Action: This post proved to be helpful in two ways; one for me, because the post reflects how much I learned about the grief process of young adults, but also because this information is useful to those people who wish to start an art therapy based bereavement support group in their own community.

Where I Live, ©2000, H. Hunter, 15" x 18", Acrylic &Caran d'ache
Most popular: Finding Sanctuary: addresses our universal need to find a safe and sacred space. Nature + art = one of the most effective ways to find it.

Didn't quite get the attention it deserved: Timing is Everything: There's a lot packed into this little post with M.S. Merwin's poem. Spring opens our eyes with its fleeting beauty and we're reminded, once again, of the transience and beauty of life.

Most proud of: Art Therapy 101: No questions here. Art Therapy 101, about my daughter who was my first teacher in art therapy, wrote itself.


Peonies at the Ogunquit Museum of American Art
Most beautiful: Accidental Journey: Places of the soul--all of us have them and I accidentally traveled back to mine in this trip to Maine. Here I share images and thoughts of this magical journey, especially one gorgeous blush colored peony.

Surprising Success: A Different Kind of Summer: I had no idea when I wrote about spending the summer in the studio that it would elicit so many responses. At the hospital, when I'm asked what I did on the weekend, my answer is always the same: "I was in my studio." (And it's always a pleasure.)

Most controversial: New Beginnings: The controversy here is subjective within the quilting world--I suddenly felt confronted by an entirely different way of seeing the quilting process, one I hadn't considered and which challenged me to re-examine my approach to the aesthestics of art quilts.

And now some nominations--4 blogs with entirely different focuses--something to satisfy different parts of my personality.

From the Scattergood Farm: written by two teachers at Scattergood Friends School (my daughter's high school alma mater) where students both study and work a living farm. In this new blog, they present some radical new ideas for school lunch. Check this out!

Patricia Scarborough: I love Patty's posts--witty and wry and half a continent away, I love to read her observations and see her plein air plainscapes. 

Dwelling Here Now: One of the first blogs I discovered, Anthony Lawlor takes a spiritual approach to architecture and the architecture of thought. 

Blue Sky Dreaming: Blue Sky's open minded approach to her subject matter and materials intrigues and inspires lots of us in the mixed media world.

9 comments:

  1. I am honored beyond words to be included in this list!
    Hannah, I have loved reading your blog this past year and always look forward with great anticipation to what you'll have to say.
    Thanks for sharing your heartfelt thoughts with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Patty--your words are heartwarming- they are going to help me glide into the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, ( when I have time to pop in to your blog) I leave with a sense of renewal and hope. Put simply, you inspire, Hannah. Best wishes for another year of insightful, sharing posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Paris for your kind words--warming in winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was fun to remember some of the posts you listed and read a couple I missed along the way. I am also looking forward to visiting your nominated blogs. Thank you Hannah for all your beautiful art and the insights and wisdom you share with all of us. I am so happy the blogosphere brought us together, but that we can get together in person as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great? I often feel skeptical, thinking that sometimes we are less connected because of our focus on screens rather than people--but then there's the other half of the proverbial coin--that the internet does bring incredible connections--and meeting you is one of them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a beautiful idea! I can't wait to read through the links!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the introduction to so many blogs and artists... a good challenge to be undertaken and completed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Laura and Donna--there's definitely something to be said for going back in order to move forward: )

    ReplyDelete