Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Where do ideas come from?

Where do ideas come from? I've been pondering this question in my mind, turning it over in my mind like a gem. Finally, I decided that in order to answer it, I'd break that big gem down into many smaller gemstones (and thus many new gems!) I'm looking at my subject matter first--followed by inspiration, points of departure, choice of materials and finally style--because style becomes the lens through which we understand our subject.

That all said, when I think about subject, it often feels as if the subject chooses me rather than the other way around. Often my subject is a path of inquiry that I want to investigate in my art work. When I first became interested in studying Judaism, I began exploring the religion on thick creamy sheets of BFK Rives, working with Jewish symbols long before I visited a synagogue or met with a Rabbi. My quest begins in the studio. My subject can also be something that is tugging at me, weighing heavily on my mind and heart. Most recently that has been my work at the hospital. The recent deaths of a number of children we'd served took me to the edge of burnout. As part of my own grieving process, I began work on a series loosely titled "Remembrances." Small 6" x 6" collaged panels commemorate children the children I knew and loved. As I finish this series, I'm looking around for clues about the next one. I'm not sure yet where I'm going, but trust in my curiosity and where it will lead me.

5 comments:

  1. The art work you show here is beautiful and I'd love to hear more about it's meaning to you.

    I also look forward to seeing the series you are working on now about the loss of those precious children. What hard work. I hope the art making was cathartic, healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Hospice and Palliative nurse, I can fully appreciate your burnout with your losses. I have never been able to work with children...I always supposed it was because I have had my own and could not take the emotions of it all. I commend you on being able to be there for these precious little people!

    I found your website through Lynn, and am looking forward to looking around here!

    As for what causes one to become inspired...I have also been wondering this BIG question...as I imagine we all do,and I have recently noticed that when I am really paying attention to something...close inspection/introspection...I have some sort of creative response to it. It is a new realization for me and I am hoping to capitalize on it! FUN!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah....I think creativity comes from our soul and perhaps it doesn't always do to try and think too hard and analyse it ...just let it flow ..........Lorna (ps I linked to you from Lynn's blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a pognant piece, i am also here via lynn. and will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creativity may come from the soul, but I, too, like to explore its origins; I find this helps me to nurture what rudimentary creativity I possess (I'm not an artist).

    ReplyDelete